Don't judge a book...
6.24.2006
Those of you who surf around the romance novel portion of the blog-o-sphere know that there has been a bit of a dust-up about book covers (specifically e-book covers) this week. I don't want to bring down anyone's wrath on my poor baby blog so I'll just say this -

If this is the first time e-book authors have dealt with criticism of their covers...well, they are lucky, lucky souls. Because the truth is - many, many are beyond awful! But some are quite nice and if I were more of a blog goddess I would be able to post pictures or links to examples but there you go. I'm not. I'll work on it. :o)

Print authors have long suffered the horrors of the awful book covers AND the criticism that comes along with it. They know (and usually openly acknowledge) the awfulness but they have little control over the face that gets slapped on the front of their baby. If I were an author and got stuck with some of the dreck I've seen on the shelves of the local Waldens, I would probably pull my hair out!

I wonder if e-book authors have the option of creating their own covers (if they have talents in that direction)? I mean, it's a more flexible medium ...so, if they have the no-how, why not?? I know some e-book authors do covers for others (Scott Carpenter, for example - his covers are excellent but I've never read one of his books)...but I've never noticed if they do their own. I'll have to check it out and post my findings.

Now, I'm the first to admit I have no idea what is involved in creating the cover of an e-book...but, based on some comments I've read during this week's discussions, it probably isn't like brain surgery. If someone were motivated, they could probably master the basics pretty quickly.

Ah well, my two cents...

Labels: , , ,

 
posted by C2 at 3:31 PM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


At 7:52 AM, Blogger Kristie (J)

It makes one scratch their head at the awfulness of some of them doesn't it??? It's kind of funny because one of my all time favourite covers is an e-book cover. And wasn't I a happy camper when I heard it's coming out in print with the same cover :)