2009 - The Year in Books
1.07.2010
Doesn't that sound impressive? Like, all official and stuff?

First, a re-cap - in 2008 I read 115 new to me books. Maybe. I'm not convinced...I didn't do a good job keeping track of all my ebook reading last year.

Now for 2009 - I read (as near as I can tell) a grand total of 124 new to me books. Woo hoo! I actually read more this year, maybe (see note above). Still, a lot of those are ebooks that were a bit shorter than the average paper book. And I didn't do a good job of keeping track of re-reads (I will do better on that this year). Also I've been in a new-book-reading slump since early November so that kept the total down, too. It could have been an awesome reading year...sto0pid slump. *mutters*

Anyhoo, let me break it down for you. First my top ten (I'm too lazy to link to anything - embrace the power of teh Google, peeps). These are in alphabetical order by author, since that's the way they popped up after I sorted my spreadsheet:

1. The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley
2. Dark of Night by Suzanne Brockmann
3. One Week as Lovers by Victoria Dahl
4. Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James
5. Tempt Me at Twilight by Lisa Kleypas
6. The Dark Tide by Josh Lanyon (the first time an ebook has made my top ten, I think, so wo0t!)
7. The Host by Stephanie Meyer
8. Faefever by Karen Marie Moning (ZOMG ZOMG!!)
9. Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning (ZOMG!)
10. Glitter Baby by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
11. Angel's Blood by Nalini Singh

The ratings breakdown:
10/9 books: 11
8 books: 34
7 books: 54
6 books: 21
5/0 books: 4

Contemporaries read: 68 (practically all of the ebooks I read were contemporaries) and if I add in the category books, the total goes up to 74
Historicals read: 42
Fantasy/futuristics read: 7
Time-travels read: 1

If I break down those numbers a bit further -

Paranormals read: 20
Suspense/mysteries read: 5

Number of new-to-me authors I tried this year: 19! Impressive, yes? Some of the newbies - Ann Aguirre/Ava Gray, Katie Allen, Lauren Dane, Sarah Mayberry and Sydney Croft.

Author with most books read by me in 2009: Victoria Dahl. I read 5 of her books. Heh. I know she's proud. :-D

ETA: I had my Fever books mislabeled...which happens when you do a post really late at night AND don't read it. So tis fixed now. And Faefever had to get a double ZOMG for the cliffhanger. O_O Those of you who have read it, imagine me onboard a ship bound for Iceland and reading that ending in the wee hours of the morning...do you understand the double ZOMG?? I think you do. LOL

Labels: , , ,

 
posted by C2 at 3:06 PM | Permalink |


15 Comments:


At 10:53 PM, Blogger Mandi

I loved Lord Ian, KMM and The Dark Tide (Jake and Adrien - Le sigh!!!!!)

I just read my first Victoria Dahl - Lead Me On..I lurved it! I can't believe I have never read her before. I just ordered all her other books...LOL.

Very nice list ;)

 

At 11:06 PM, Blogger C2

Thanks Mandi! I'm reading Lead Me On right now - very enjoyable. I think it may snap me out of my slump. Don't forget to read The Wicked West, Victoria Dahl's ebook connected to Talk Me Down. It's fun!

 

At 9:31 AM, Blogger CindyS

Wow! Dreamfever gets an ZOMG? I'll have to see if I have that one somewhere. I have to say - didn't love Singh's Angel's Blood but it seems I might be alone in that one. I'm still going to read the next one.

Great job! Hope the slump leaves!
cindyS

 

At 12:16 PM, Blogger C2

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

At 12:23 PM, Blogger C2

Actually I will edit because I meant to say Faefever also gets a ZOMG - a double one even! The end of Faefever is a huge cliffhanger that deserves a double ZOMG and Dreamfever has to deal with that. :-D Darkfever is the first of the series and is most excellent, too. That series just keeps getting better and better.

I put off reading Angel's Blood forever but when I was getting ready to go on vacay and asking for recs, Jane said it was one of her top reads for the year so... And I really liked it so good for her. LOL I'm looking forward to the next book - out next month! Wo0t!

 

At 2:03 PM, Blogger ~ames~

That's a good top 10! I've read some of those so I know what I'm talking about. LOL

I only read the first Fever book by KMM, so now I'm verra verra curious!!

 

At 2:26 PM, Blogger C2

Dude, you totally need to read the other Fever books! I let books 2 and 3 linger in Mt TBR for ages but when I read them, I kicked myself for waiting so long. :) A word to the wise - do NOT read the 3rd book unless you've got the 4th nearby. Trust me. Heh.

We have discussed on Twitter whether we should recommend the series at all before the 5th (and final) book comes out - later this year - just because of the cliffhangers. But you can handle it. O:-)

 

At 2:28 PM, Blogger ~ames~

Hmmm...I think that explains why mom seemed mad when she finished the 3rd book. LOL Poor thing, I didn't get the 4th one yet. o_O

 

At 2:33 PM, Blogger C2

It was painful! Painful, I tells ya!! On a ship...in the middle of the ocean...with no bookstore in the next port!! Well, there were bookstores in Reykjavik but none that would have had an English version of a new release. Sadness!

Heh.

 

At 1:45 PM, Blogger Holly

I'm boycotting the Fever books, but I obviously need to go dig Lord Ian out of the TBR pile.

Great list, babe.

 

At 2:04 PM, Blogger C2

Boycotting?? Well, that might be best until the last book comes out. :-D In the meantime, you should totally read Lord Ian!

 

At 2:06 PM, Blogger Holly

I'm boycotting for another reason (not just b/c the last book isn't out) and doubt I'll ever read the series (though it is possible I'll crack some day).

 

At 2:24 PM, Blogger C2

Ohhh, now I'm so curious! Heh. If you do eventually crack, I think you'll like them. :)

 

At 2:27 PM, Blogger Holly

It has to do with her Highlander series. I actually plan to do a full post on it, but she said she won't be going back to it. Which means she won't be giving us the nephew's book - the one she promised. Instead she's incorporating it into her Fever series.

So I'm boycotting. Course I don't see how effective it is since I'm the ONLY one boycotting, but it makes me feel better. That's all that matters, right?

 

At 2:32 PM, Blogger C2

I TOTALLY get that because that's the reason I no longer read Elizabeth Lowell. ;-) She ticked me off by never finishing a series (and showing no remorse). Of course, she's still a best seller but I feel better about it. LOL