The planning continues...
1.12.2008
...so, we have our cabin reserved and I've move on to looking at the available excursions. Of course, there are problems to address. *sigh*

One of the things we were looking forward to the most was the stop in Rome but, as I look at the calendar, we will be in Rome on a Sunday. Rats! This causes all sorts of issues with our possible tours - first of all, Sunday is when everybody gets out to see stuff. Busy, busy, busy. Then, in the description of the tour that (initially) sounded best, it says on our cruise, the visit to the Vatican Museums will be replaced by something else, due to it being the last Sunday of the month (very busy time at the Vatican, apparently). Drat! We wanted to see the Sistine Chapel, for crying out loud.



Still, there is another excursion that will let us see all sorts of cool stuff - the Colosseum, the Parthenon, the Forum, etc. So, that's okay. And if we have to visit Rome again, so be it. ;-)







Then I notice that we will be in Florence on a Monday - AGAIN! The last time we were in Florence it was on a Monday. Why is that a problem, you wonder? Because practically all the museums are closed on Monday! Double drat! We wanted to see David (the real one) in all his nude-ness!






Again, I explored the other options and I think we are headed on an excursion into the Tuscan countryside. Doesn't that sound pretty?



I'm still digging through the other options for the other ports. Has anyone been to Barcelona?? Any must-sees? What about France's Provence region?

Labels: ,

 
posted by C2 at 1:58 PM | Permalink |


9 Comments:


At 4:20 PM, Blogger Marg

I loved Barcelona when I went there years ago. There was this cool little Picasso art gallery down one of the lanes leading off of La Ramblas.

There is also the Gaudi architecture, and you used to be able to take a cable car up to the top of Mont Juic (sp) to look back down over the city, and that was where some of the Olympic sites were from 1992.

 

At 8:15 PM, Blogger C2

Thanks Marg! I'm looking forward to the Gaudi stuff, I must say. And I think our hotel is pretty close to La Ramblas so maybe I'll find your gallery. :o)

 

At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Aarrghh - lost my comment! Quick recap of what I said:

Second Marg's Gaudi recs - the cathedral (Sagrada Familia) is a must-see, there is also a house relatively close to La Ramblas(Casa Batllo, I think) and if you have time and the weather is good, a trip to Park Guell would be fun!

 

At 12:57 PM, Blogger C2

Thanks Li! I'll add those to my list. :o)

 

At 9:14 AM, Blogger ~ames~

If I shrink myself to the size of a mouse, can I come with you? LOL

I'm so jealous!! Of course, I am travelling this year, but to the States. LOL

I want to go back to Europe one day, that's my dream.

 

At 5:22 PM, Blogger CindyS

I cannot give any advice as I've never been but just wanted to say *sigh* that looks like a great trip you're planning!

Does it mean you leave the States on the ship? Or do you have to fly? I'm thinking Bob and I could do a cross Atlantic cruise at some point in the future because I would so love to see Europe.

CindyS

 

At 5:49 PM, Blogger C2

Ames, if you can manage the shrinking, I'm sure I can find the space for you. :o)

Cindy - yup, we leave out of Florida and cross over with stops in Portugal, Spain, Italy, France and a few other places (although, they have them in reverse too). We end up in Barcelona and will fly back home from there. That's the only bad part...I hate the long flights back from Europe. Blah.

They have trans-Atlantic cruises that leave out of New York, I think. They go to Iceland, Norway, England, etc. So that would be an option for you and Bob, too, if you decide to cruise.

 

At 2:50 PM, Blogger CindyS

Iceland sounds too much like Iceberg so I'll be taking a more southernly route ;)

CindyS

 

At 9:58 PM, Blogger C2

Cindy - I think Iceland sounds cool...literally and figuratively! LOL If you did that route in the summer it might just be refreshing. ;-)