Friday Fun Fact
11.07.2008
I got the idea for this *fanfare* new feature after Tweeting some hippo trivia. I'll do my best to have a new bit of trivia every Friday. I can do that, I'm sure! *determined face*

So here we go - you might have seen this little guy in the news:



So, that led to my brain to this (if your name is CindyS just look away):



And now for a gross fun fact about hippos:

To mark territory, hippos spin their tails while defecating to distribute their excrement over the greatest possible area. Hippos also urinate backwards (are retromingent), likely for the same reason.

Bonus fact: Hippopotamuses (or hippopotami, if you prefer) appear to communicate verbally, through grunts and bellows, and it is thought that they may practice echolocation, but the purpose of these vocalizations is currently unknown.



Want more hippo info? Clickety click!


So, should I put a Christmas countdown in my sidebar, peeps? It's just around the corner, s'all I'm saying. :-D

Labels: , ,

 
posted by C2 at 9:26 PM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


At 9:47 PM, Blogger KT Grant

I had a dream a few years ago that a hippo wanted to eat me. What does that mean?

 

At 10:18 PM, Blogger C2

Well, *dons Freud glasses* it might have to do with a cigar. Yes? Okay, no. *removes Freud glasses*

A hippo is an usual choice for that dream. Maybe your subconscious wanted to pick an animal very unlikely to eat you? Although, if you go over to Wikipedia they are dangerous - they can run fast! And are very territorial.

Had you visited the zoo recently?

 

At 2:31 PM, Blogger JenB

Silly girl :P

 

At 6:46 PM, Blogger C2

You don't know how long I've wanted to use that singing hippo picture! LOL

 

At 12:28 AM, Blogger CindyS

Did you see the baby!! What a tiny little cutie bear - I wish they could stay that way forever so I could have one of my very own!

Except for the poop thing. That's gross!

*sigh* go ahead, put up the countdown - I need a shove (punch?) to get in the gift buying spirit.

CindyS