Cover me!
7.07.2007
So, I was looking at the upcoming releases (making my list, you know - wow, I hope Penguin appreciates my business) and I started noticing some of the covers. No, no, no - not in a bad way! Just seeing the variety and wondering about it. I know everyone has different tastes and different things appeal to different people but... Let me show you what I mean. BTW, I'm not linking to the authors because I'm too lazy - you're web savvy peeps. Use teh Google!

I tried to pick some of each genre and a variety of publishers (I thought - darn those Penguin imprints) from well-established authors. Anyway, here we go:

Historicals -

the good
          

the so-so
     

the bad
     

Now, I admit, Jo G's cover is fine, in theory, but what was the marketing department thinking? What customer are they trying to attract?

Onward! The contemporaries/paranormals -

The good
         


the bad (there seems to be no in-between)
         

Which come from same publishers, you ask? From the Penguin family: Emma Holly, Jo Goodman, Nalini Singh, Lora Leigh, Candice Hern. From Harper Collins: Stephanie Laurens, Suzanne Enoch, Rachel Gibson. From Simon & Schuster: Loretta Chase, Karen Hawkins. From St. Martin's: Cheyenne McCray, Jenny and Bob, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Lisa Kleypas. The Susan Grant book is from Harlequin (isn't the guy's back fabulous??).

I had more examples but I got tired. ;-) It really is just the luck of the draw (no pun intended), isn't it? At least the bad covers weren't horrifically bad (and there are plenty of places you can find the bad covers to mock discuss).

Some random thoughts -

> I prefer the headless covers, personally. I don't need an artist's (usually completely wrong) version of the lead couple. Apparently, I'm not alone. Yay!

> The marketing decision to do the duet of Suzanne Enoch stories (one historical and one from her contemporary Sam & Rick series) in a single volume was brilliant, says me.

What do you think about the state of covers today, peeps? Any exceptional examples to share (good or bad)?

Labels: , ,

 
posted by C2 at 12:04 PM | Permalink |


10 Comments:


At 10:52 PM, Blogger Mailyn

I like the Lisa cover.

 

At 1:05 PM, Blogger ~ames~

that suzanne enoch cover-at first i thought it said juice the temptation. lol i like liz carlyle's cover.

and i can't wait for that candice hern-she's a good writer.

 

At 4:23 PM, Blogger C2

Mailyn - I like the LK cover too. The red and white is pretty, isn't it?

Ames - You seem to have some sort of "juice" fixation. LOL I'm looking forward to the CH book, too. I've been intrigued by those characters since the beginning of the series.

 

At 9:14 PM, Blogger ~ames~

hey, at least it's not lashings of juice...of girl juice.


eww

 

At 7:07 AM, Blogger CindyS

I like the Liz Carlyle covers - not sure if it's the bright colour of the gowns on a crisp white background but they seem uh, crisp ;)

The covers have become really hodge-podge. You have ones with artist renditions and then you will have something cartoony and chic and then almost pulp fictionish (the cruisie - can't say I like that cover at all!) So it seems that every thing is out there and you can't really pin-point a group of genre romance. Eg - the extraterrestrial one is really just an easy cover that has nothing 'other worldly' about it.

Okay, I'm babbling ;)

Cindys

 

At 6:16 PM, Blogger C2

Cindy - to me, the Crusie cover works because the book isn't a romance, really. The cover looks more chick-lit-ish (even though it isn't that either).

I agree about covers becoming more and more generic. Do they think they will attract more readers that way, I wonder? Because I doubt it. A cover would have to be way awesome for that to work and none of these (not even the "good" ones) are that great.

It's a quandary. I know they say not to judge a book by its cover but it's hard! Especially when the cover is bad. It seems as if the publisher didn't think the book was worth the effort.

 

At 9:52 PM, Blogger reviewer

I LOVE the Lora Leigh cover. I'm always looking at it.

I don't share your thoughts when it comes to covers. I like all of them except for the Emma Holly one.

 

At 10:21 PM, Blogger C2

Hi Chantal - that's why the covers are all different, I'm sure. Everybody's tastes are different. :o)

The LL cover is a near miss for me. I like the cat in the background and I like the color and the font but the guy wigs me out a little. Is it just me or does he look like Marky Mark? LOL

I don't know what's up with the EH cover...it's so busy and the font is bizarre. Usually she gets lucky with covers but this one, not so much.

 

At 11:50 AM, Blogger sybil

Lisa's isn't the right color. The dress is blue.

Jo Goodman is Zebra (kensington)

I like Lora's cover too. And Emma Hollys. Love Rachel Gibsons... is it bad I have all of these but two?

 

At 12:42 PM, Blogger C2

Sybil - Hmmm, maybe they changed Lisa's after B&N posted the cover? I like the red, though.

Thanks for the correction on Jo's book - my notes were on the back of an envelope...bad C2!

Do Lora's and Emma's covers look better in person?

And finally, yes it is very bad that you have all of them but two! ;-) Unless you lived close enough to me that you could share. Actually, if you have a copy of Suz's Force of Nature - do you take bribes?? Email me and maybe we can work out a deal. LOL