*Crash* *BOOM* *Zap!*
8.27.2007


So, there I was, minding my own business...reading in bed on Friday night (early Saturday morning, if you want to be technical) and I began to hear thunder in the distance. No big deal, right? I knew we were expecting rain - Flash Flood Watch - so, whatever. But it kept getting closer and closer and louder and LOUDER. Now, I like distant rumbly thunder but the great big wall-shaking kind?? Not so much. Anyway, suddenly there was a very bright flash of lightning (bright enough to see in my room, even with the lights on) and an immediate BOOM of thunder...and I heard a distinct *pop* somewhere in my house. Uh-oh.

So, long story short - cable modem? Blasted. Ethernet card in the PC I never use? Fried. DVD player. Dead. Outlets in the guest bath? Unresponsive. Phone service? Out until Thursday. And, I find out today (when dude came to replace the cable modem), wireless router? DOA. Blah.

Still, it could have been worse. Most of the electronics, etc. are fine. It wasn't scary windy or anything. We needed the rain (and still need tons more). All in all, it's mostly annoying. At first, one of the TVs wasn't working but I unplugged it and plugged it back and it started working again. Rats! I was kind of looking forward to getting a flat panel. Ah well...

How have I managed to be online all weekend? I'm piggybacking off the neighbors. Shame on me. ;-)

In other news, I'll be off to visit the 'rents this weekend (Labor Day, here in the States) but I'll be around some. Thank goodness they finally got DSL!

Also, I read Devil May Cry over the weekend. It was better than the last book in the series, I must say, and does seem to be drawing us closer to Ash's books - thank goodness! And it introduced an intriguing new character (Xypher) - a dead Skoti (bad Dream Hunter). This book seemed to be more about setting up Ash's books than a story that needed to be told for its own sake, if you know what I mean. But I'm okay with that. :-D And I feel vindicated in the fact that Kat will not be Ash's heroine. Yay!

I started reading Lisa Marie Rice's Dangerous Lover but I put it aside about 1/3 of the way through. I wasn't in the mood for dark, tortured, angsty-ness. It was good...just not what I was wanting to read, right then. I'll pick it back up soon.


By the way, no my hair does not look like this:

The lighting wasn't that close! LOL

ETA: linkage and Xypher's name...yikes, imagine why that didn't immediately spring to mind.

Labels: , , , ,

 
posted by C2 at 7:34 PM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


At 10:56 PM, Blogger Jennie

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you're okay. I actually love thunderstorms, but maybe that's because I've never had a scare like the one you had!

 

At 11:49 PM, Blogger ~ames~

Hey C2-I'm glad you're ok!! Sounds like you got the storm that missed Winnipeg. :P

 

At 11:41 AM, Blogger C2

It wasn't so scary...we never lost power or anything, even. It was just loud! And only briefly loud. Still, it could have fried everything.

Cable modem dude said they had been replacing stuff all day...modems, cable boxes, phone stuff. He was at my house at like 7:30...and I think he had more stops before his day was finished. Blah.

 

At 2:37 PM, Blogger ~ames~

Sucks to be him.

 

At 1:22 AM, Blogger CindyS

That means you were hit by lightning doesn't it? That'd be scary! Unless a transformer was hit. Glad you are safe but it's the little things that can throw off your day and internet interuption would fall under that for me ;)

Happy long weekend!
CindyS