My holiday reading...
1.05.2007

...admidst all the furniture assembly and techno-stuff, I did get a good bit of reading done. :o)

The list -

A Man in a Million - Jessica Bird - very good; I loved Spike! A bit melodramatic but that's okay with me.
The Duke in Disguise - Gayle Callen - also good; she's one of my new authors I found in 2006.
Blame It on Cupid - Jennifer Greene - interesting take on the "OMG I inherited a child" plot.
Only a Duke Will Do - Sabrina Jeffries - it was nice to see this dangling storyline tied up.
Irresistible - Susan Mallery - good
Sizzling - Susan Mallery - better
The Unexpected Millionaire - Susan Mallery - good but I liked the first one better (and I picked up the third one today at Walmart).
On the Way to the Wedding - Julia Quinn - better than I expected after all the reviews I read.
Santa Baby anthology - Jenny's story was the best; the others were just okay.

Why so many Susan Mallery books? It just happened. I'd had Irresistible in the TBR for ages so I took it. Just before I left I ran across The Unexpected Millionaire (wow, would I like to really run across an unexpected millionaire!) and I liked the first book in that series, so I picked it up. And then when we were shopping after Christmas, Sizzling was on the shelves so I picked it up, too. I actually liked Sizzling better than Irresistible, by the way. Although, throughout the whole series she seems to be trying to deal with darker themes than she usually does (the evil grandmother, the abusive boyfriend, the sister with liver disease and the alcoholic mother)and I'm not sure it always works...they feel a bit contrived, somehow.

Anywho, it was a pretty good reading break overall. I did start to read Must Love Dragons but it didn't hold my attention so I'm putting it back in the TBR for a while.

Labels: , , ,

 
posted by C2 at 6:08 PM | Permalink |


7 Comments:


At 7:01 PM, Blogger Mailyn

Don't know those books but hey I love techno too! I used to go clubbing to techno clubs a helluva lot and I listen to it all the time.

 

At 7:33 PM, Blogger Kristie (J)

I'm only pages away from finishing Sizzling and I liked it quite a bit. Much better than the second one.

 

At 7:45 PM, Blogger C2

Mailyn - uhhhh...not techno music really (not so much a fan...it tends to all sound the same to me...does that mean I'm old??)...I was connecting TVs and computers and whatnot during my visit to the home area. :-D So I was being a techno-geek, mostly. LOL

Kristie - yup, much better than Irresistible...which I found a bit disturbing during the whole druggie ex-boyfried/baseball bat thing. I mean, hello! Romance, people!! Have you read the preview of the next one? It sounds like it will skirting incest issues. Yikes! ;-)

 

At 2:14 AM, Blogger Unknown

Well I for one agree with you. Susan Mallery is an incredible author and her Buchanan series, Her Millionaire and Marcelli series, just plain wonderful.

But try to read her Desert Rogue series if you want hot!

 

At 1:48 PM, Blogger C2

Marilyn - Welcome! I haven't seen you around before. :o)

I have read Mallery's Desert Rogues, as a matter of fact. I liked them. I'm not usually big on sheik books but hers are enjoyable, I think. Lighter or something.

The most recent Marcelli book is lingering in the TBR. I'll get there eventually...so far I've been picking it up and putting it back.

 

At 10:00 PM, Blogger Devon

I want to read the Jessica Bird. The cover doesn't really look like the character description, though.

 

At 10:20 PM, Blogger C2

Devon - you're right, the cover really doesn't look like my idea of Spike at all. I mean - no spikes!! No tattoos. Nothing except a kind of lame leather-ish jacket. And the cover on her new Desire?? Yowza is it bad!