Can you hear me now??
9.22.2007

So, peeps, what are your thoughts about audiobooks? A couple of posts ago, I mentioned that there was an audio excerpt up for All Through the Night. And since then, there is a longer one available here - and a longer print excerpt, too, along with some bits of an interview with Suz.

Now, I'm the first to say I don't have a lot of experience with audiobooks. I think they would be great if I had a long commute or something like that but, thankfully, I only have about a 15 minute drive to and from work...and that doesn't seem like long enough to bother. And if I'm home, I can just read. Plus, there's the whole "...but, but...that's not what he sounds like in my head" thing. Everyone reads differently and sometimes hearing someone else reading for you can pull you right out of the story, says me.

The only audiobook experience I've had, as a matter of fact, is Suz's Hot Target and I listened to it after I read the book - and I'm glad. I liked that the female POV was read by a woman and the male POV was read by a guy BUT I didn't like the guy's voice. And the same duo reads most of Suz's books so...

However, (have I already mentioned?) the audiobook for ATTN is read by actor/singer Michael Holland, whom Suz loves and has said is the voice she hears in her head when she's writing Jules so having him read, especially when it's Jules' POV, makes her so happy - yikes run-on sentence much?! Anywho, after listening to the excerpts, I have to say I like the way he reads her stuff. So I'm going to give the audiobook a try, although I will listen to the book after I read it. :o)

So, does anyone have favorite audiobooks or audiobook readers? I know the people who listen to the Harry Potter books(wow! talk about a committment of time!) love Jim Dale. And what about the whole female voice reading male roles or male voice reading female roles? Does that bug anyone? Or is it even noticeable (if the reader is a good one)?

And now for something completely different - is it too early to change over to my Halloween template?? I'm thinking yes, I should wait until October...but it's so cute!

Thoughts anyone??

Labels: , ,

 
posted by C2 at 6:47 PM | Permalink |


8 Comments:


At 9:18 AM, Blogger Dev

I always take audiobooks with me on road trips ~ but to be honest, I've always got kiddo with me so they're all YA. I think they're a great way to pass the time while driving. But then again, I'm perfectly happy listening to music also.

I don't think it's too early to switch your template. Next Monday is October 1. I say go for it.

 

At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

I've tried a few audio books haven't liked most of them with the exception of Jim Dale reading Harry Potter. I can't imagine not having listened to the audio books for that experience. He is AMAZING.

 

At 12:01 PM, Blogger C2

Dev - yeah, I've thought about do audiobooks for the whole road trip thing (the 'rents live about 6 hours away) but then I forget when it's actually time to do it. Radio's fine for me, too...except for a brief spell in the middle of nowhere where there's nothing. :o)

Mollie - did you read the HP books and listen? Or just listen? I know Jim Dale is supposed to be fabulous and I've been tempted to listen (especially HP7 since I zoomed through the book so fast) but unabridged is like 26 hours!! Whoa! Maybe the next time I have a really long flight or something...

 

At 5:19 PM, Blogger Kristie (J)

I've never actually listened to one before. Lisa and I are taking a long road trip soon to visit Nance (youngest sister - 8 hours away) and Lisa bought a couple to listen to on the way - but alas neither is a romance). So I can't help with favourites at the moment *g*. As for your template - *chuckle* it's your blog so if you want to switch now bo for it. The halloween candy is in the stores now after all.

 

At 5:54 PM, Blogger C2

Kristie - you'll have to let me know how the roadtrip audiobooks go. I was on the road with a friend of mine and she had one to listen to - some sort of crime thriller - I fell asleep. LOL

As far as the template goes, I may switch it later tonight. Excellent point about the candy in the stores! :-D

 

At 10:03 PM, Blogger Kristie (J)

I think it's a crime thriller that Lisa got too, but I'd better not fall asleep while listening to it. I'm the one doing the driving *g*

 

At 4:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

I'm real interested in the idea of either going audio or e-reader. I've never tried audio and wonder what voice character they use. Right now I'm finishing The Sapphire Pendant and would love to have it on audio. Hmmm, wonder how?

 

At 1:14 PM, Blogger C2

Kristie - LOL Yup, you'd better hope Lisa picked something that will hold your interest. ;-)

Melissa - the Janes over at Dear Author.com have discussed ereaders at length so that might be a resource for you. I think the success of an audiobook hinges more on the voice than anything else. If you like the author and you like the reader, you're set. But if you don't like the reader, it doesn't matter how much you love the author...a voice that doesn't gel with your idea of how it should sound will pull you out of the story every time. I'm thinking there must be a good bit of trial and error to find audiobooks you like. At least, most audiobook sites let you listen to samples. :o)