Suggestions welcome...
10.04.2007

So, I'm trying to bring a work friend over the the dark side - reading romance. :-D She's a big reader but she concentrated on mysteries and thrillers mostly. I've already hooked her on the Stephanie Plum series and Harry Potter (OMG did she blow through those books fast!). Now I've moved on to romance - and she asked...sort of. She was talking about all the stuff she had been reading lately was beginning to wig her out. Too many serial killers and people being hacked into itty bitty pieces. Eek! So I combed through the Keeper Closet and dug out an assortment of goodies for her to try. I stayed with contemporaries (with a few paranormals thrown in for fun) to see how that goes. Among my selections for her:
Heaven Texas - ooooh...Bobby Tom!
Welcome to Temptation - Tucker for mayor! More of the same!
Fantasy Lover - ancient Greeks, curses, vengeful gods=fun :o)
Dark Lover - you feel me, peeps?
The Unsung Hero - how could I leave out Suz?

She loved Heaven Texas - yay! And just started Welcome to Temptation.

So, my lovely peeps, here is my question for you: what are your suggestions for introducing her to historicals? Again trying for a variety of sub-genres. A Loretta Chase, a Laura Kinsale, a Jo Beverley, a Julia Quinn...???????

Suggest away!

Credit where credit is due: cartoon found here.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by C2 at 7:21 PM | Permalink |


10 Comments:


At 10:14 PM, Blogger Dev

Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard

Romancing Mr. Bridgerton by Julia Quinn (although it's in the middle of a series)

 

At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

I vote for Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase.

I adore that book.

oh and you have to have something by Lisa Kleypas!!!!!

Hope she comes over to our side!

Sandie

 

At 1:44 PM, Blogger ~ames~

KAREN ROSE.

I know she said she's sick of serial killers, but KR does such a wonderful job! Seriously. And when are you going to try her out???

HUH?

 

At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

A Georgette Heyer? Or would that be too big a leap? I'd suggest "Frederica" for a light Heyer.

Second the Linda Howard suggestion.

What about a Mary Jo Putney? One of her Fallen Angels books.

Older Jayne Anne Krentz books (contemps) - Family Man is one of my favs.

Oh, and what about Julie Garwood? The Secret or The Bride, one of her Scottish ones.

Heh. I'll shut up now else I'll go on forever.

 

At 3:57 PM, Blogger C2

Dev - I forgot about Linda Howard! She is an excellent rec. :o) And Romancing Mr. Bridgerton is one of my faves in that series - and Colin is my very fave of the family. LOL

Sandie - Ii think Lord of Scoundrels in the one from LC, too. And definitely something from Lisa K...I can't believe I didn't think of her. I just picked up Mine Till Midnight. Duh!

Ames - I'll recommend Karen Rose after I read something by her...and I'll put her into the schedule soon. ;-)

Li - you know, I'm afraid to start her off with GH. That might be something to work toward, I'm thinking. MJP and Julie Garwood are excellent suggestions! Maybe JAK, too, although she is hit or miss with me.

Keep them coming, peeps! I did remember that she loves English stuff so focusing in that area (not a difficulty, certainly) might be best.

 

At 5:00 AM, Blogger Marg

How about Elizabeth Hoyt's series starting with The Raven Prince

 

At 7:47 PM, Blogger C2

Hi Marg - I've been meaning to try that series, as a matter of fact. I'll move it to the top of the list. I don't think I've read her before.

 

At 8:26 PM, Blogger Devon

Lord of Scoundrels, fer sure.

Some Liz Carlyle's have decent mysteries.

One of my all time favorites is As You Desire by Connie Brockway. I'd give that to a non-romance reader.

Has she tried Bitten by Kelley Armstrong or a Sookie book, since she likes mysteries?

 

At 10:36 PM, Blogger Kristie (J)

Well - for historicals I go along with Lord of Scoundrels. And then of course there is Dreaming of You *g*

 

At 9:53 PM, Blogger C2

Devon - Liz C is an excellent suggestion and I'm sure I have As You Desire tucked away somewhere. I'm not sure how deep she might want to go into the paranormals...we'll see how she does with the ones I gave her and go from there. But the Sookie books are a definite possibility.

Kristie - Dreaming of You is pretty much a sure thing, if she is willing to go down the historicals road. ;-)